Utah Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.

Go down 
+6
FJ Jon
MoabRat
LFNTMS
gericurl
SnoMan
Fly Jester
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fly Jester

Fly Jester

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. Empty
PostSubject: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 1:18 am

Okay everyone, it is early August, so it is time to post up a get together in Moab for Columbus Day weekend. I have been down there for the past 4 years and this would make it 5. Hopefully, posting this up early enough we could get a good group discussion going on who wants to go, what trails, for how long, etc.

With this in the early stages of planning I just want to get a quick idea on who might be interested. Since it is an extended holiday weekend, Columbus Day is on October 10th, I am thinking of spending a few days down there, Fri-Sun/Mon. The weather in Moab during early October is perfect for hitting the trails, usually not hot, or too cold yet. Though we did get a little snow last year, but that was at about 10,500 ft. up on Geyser Pass(Moab = 4,000ft). Very Happy

Trails???....wide open to suggestions...

Camping/lodging.....pick your poison....

Family....all are welcome....

Having fun.....mandatory!!!

Informal list of attendees:

Me
MoabRat No
SnoMan
LFNTMS
Fj Jon
GeriCurl
FJ Jorgy
BigBad FJ

Last edited by Fly Jester on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:31 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
SnoMan

SnoMan

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 11:05 am

I think I can make this happen. Count me in.

MOAB! bounce
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Columbus day or Labor Day?
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahcruisers.com
Fly Jester

Fly Jester

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 12:48 am

Columbus Day...exploring the Moab area in honor of an explorer is a good enough reason to me. Smile
Back to top Go down
LFNTMS

LFNTMS

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 2:04 pm

I could probably make that work cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LFNTMS
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 12:42 am

Monday Oct 10.
Back to top Go down
MoabRat

MoabRat

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 1:40 am

I guess you already know we're in! Never forget going up Hell's gate over a waterfall Smile
Back to top Go down
FJ Jon

FJ Jon

PostSubject: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:59 am

I will plan on being there!
Back to top Go down
MoabRat

MoabRat

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 1:00 pm

The "Fall Classic" First one expected 6, got 18 plus the trail teams. About a dozen on the first day on a completely flooded and spectacular Hell's Revenge

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. Hr1006raw-37

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. Hr1006raw-39

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. Hr1006raw-78

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. Hr1006raw-67

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. Hr1006raw-97

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. Hr1006raw-103

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. Hr1006raw-38

Can't wait and I actually hope it rains, nothing better than Moab in the rain!
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am

Scott those pics are crazy. I'm all twitterpated now.
Back to top Go down
Fly Jester

Fly Jester

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 12:59 am

Yes Scott....rain in Moab is great..I wish would have gone that first year....no dust kicked up on the high speed runs....all the loose sand is washed off the sandstone making it stickier...and the fresh smell of the desert is top notch.

I thought I should add some pics as well...nothing like some good Moab eye candy to look at to get your minds thinking about joining us.

These are from my first trip(2007) ever in a 4wd off road other than my old Subaru....and my first trail ever....Golden Spike....led by the 'Rats....whom I had never met in person until that morning....and no, I had no idea what I had gotten myself into with a bunch of strangers that I have never met except via the blue room.

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. DSC00871

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. DSC00872

I've always like this pic....the FJ's look like little toy cars....

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. DSC00873

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. DSC00879

....from rain in the beginning, to sunshine at the end of Gold Bar Rim....

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. DSC00925

...and from last year...SteelBender and a very fun 130 mile loop around and through the LaSals...

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. DSC03384

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. DSC03390

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. DSC03431

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. Columbus2009

So start thinking about it.....head to Moab for as little or as long as you want....1,2,3,4 days whatever you can make it for come on down.

Back to top Go down
Fly Jester

Fly Jester

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:19 am

So let's get the ball rolling....I will post up on the original post the potential attendees...I would also like to hear what your "wish list" of trails you would like to do, maybe there is similar interests from everyone...so think about that trail that you have seen pics of, or heard about that you want to do. If you want to do some research on the trail(s) you are interested in and post up what/why that trail, do so. I know I have wanted to do some trails just purely from their names; Steelbender, Flat Iron Mesa, Lockhart Basin. We could even do a long loop that we did last year around and through the LaSals. The leaves are changing during that time and it was actually a fun scenic drive, even though we lost our bearings for a little while(right Scott) I have it all gps tracked. If we do get lost, exploring the backroads makes it an even better trip, and who knows it might even snow(shutter to think) up there again.
Back to top Go down
FJ Jorgy

FJ Jorgy

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Looks like we will be able to make this one. I am so ready for another Moab run, can't wait. I don't have any trail preferences, I don't really know my way around down there so i am down for whatever.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:00 am

I just mentioned this to my wife today. Oct will be too early for the baby to wheel (probably next spring) so it will probably be me and my little wing woman Maya or my dog.

No real trail prefs either. I love to see new things but enjoy the old stuff too.
Back to top Go down
LFNTMS

LFNTMS

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:02 am

Anybody interested in Beef Basin??? The whole famdamly wants to come on this trip so we'll be driving the 100. Might tow the FJC, if I can round up a trailer, so I can enjoy some of the other trails Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LFNTMS
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:38 am

Devin take the question marks off my name will ya?! I'm going to make this happen Smile
Back to top Go down
Fly Jester

Fly Jester

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:31 pm

gericurl wrote:
Devin take the question marks off my name will ya?! I'm going to make this happen Smile

Sweet!!....and done!

Who else wants to taste the grit of fine red Moab sand in their mouth?? Not to rush anyone but this will come up quicker than you might think.

Any trail choices?? Or just do a potluck in the morning, or evening before, of trail suggestions from everyone then put it to a quick vote?

John you mentioned Beef Basin, the tough thing with BB is the distance from Moab, it is easily doable, but would make for a better overnight trip especially with so much to see in that area.

If we coordinate our departure times going to Moab from up North here, l would love to introduce you guys to a path through parts of the San Rafael Swell that connects from the Price area to HWY 70. It would take longer to get to Moab, but it is a lot better than HWY 6 any day, and the more time on dirt is better for your soul. Smile

Back to top Go down
SnoMan

SnoMan

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Trails I'd like to run:

-Poison Spider Mesa (did it in my Jeep, but never the FJ)
-Hell's Revenge (I've never run this trail, been too scared to try by myself, would love to if you guys have experience with it.)
-Fins n Things (I've only done the first section, love to see the whole thing)

Seems I end up running Top of the World more than anything when I go down there. I know that trail extremely well if anyone has interest in it.

I'm flexible and open for just about anything, within reason. After Brad told me about his experience on Cliffhanger....I think I'll be staying on stuff easier than that. Moab Rim intimidates me as well.

Super stoked for this trip! cheers
Back to top Go down
Fly Jester

Fly Jester

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 8:20 pm

SnoMan wrote:
Trails I'd like to run:

-Poison Spider Mesa (did it in my Jeep, but never the FJ)
-Hell's Revenge (I've never run this trail, been too scared to try by myself, would love to if you guys have experience with it.)
-Fins n Things (I've only done the first section, love to see the whole thing)

Seems I end up running Top of the World more than anything when I go down there. I know that trail extremely well if anyone has interest in it.

I'm flexible and open for just about anything, within reason. After Brad told me about his experience on Cliffhanger....I think I'll be staying on stuff easier than that. Moab Rim intimidates me as well.

Super stoked for this trip! cheers

Good suggestions Richie...Poison Spider is a fun one, it has become tougher over the past few years....Hells Revenge is always fun.....Fins Things I've never done fully....Top O' World is fun, but if you have done it several times why not try something different.....Cliffhanger has been marked off my list, been there done that, great trail with a few very tough spots....Moab Rim is not in my plans now or anytime in the future, not my cup of tea.

We can do more than 1 trail a day if we hit trails in the same area....Porcupine and Fins/things....Little Canyon/Bull Canyon/Metal Masher/Long Canyon...Seven Mile Rim/Tusher Tunnel/????....Strike Ravine/LaSal Pass....Onion Creek to Geyser Pass....etc.

This is a good website to look for trail suggestions... http://www.traildamage.com/index.php ....it lists tons of trails in Utah, mostly in the Moab area, and has great trip reports with pics and coordinates/directions. That site is where I got interested in all the different trails available.

Who else has suggestions??

Oh yeah....Brad I would like to hear your story about Cliffhanger!
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Cliff hanger is a fun trail. I would love to do it again I just need a little more lift and a little more rubber. It's not too much of a story I just ended up using my skids a bit harder than I intended to. They held up fine and did their job. I did have to get some help on the big boulder that you have to climb on your way out. I was slamming the face of my tank skid right into it. I just didn't have quite enough clearance to bump it and get on top of it. On the way in it was a belly slide down it Laughing It was a good day, but if I didn't have the armor I don't think it would have been a good day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
Fly Jester

Fly Jester

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 8:46 pm

CH is a blast, when I was on that trail we ran into troubles on that same rock. I made it up that rock with some stacking and a healthy "Moab Bump". The next FJ wasn't so lucky. When I went up I kicked out some of the loose rocks and they didn't re-stack before their attempt. They got up halfway, but turned their front wheels into the rock causing one side to bind thus breaking a CV. I winched them up, we got to a clearing(which is rare on that trail) and figured out a way so they could steer somewhat. We hooked their winch up to their front arm and used the winch to suck in line and make the wheel turn. I followed from behind, winching them down the obstacles because the full weight of the FJ going down would cause the steering to buckle. I then winched them up that last stretch to the bottom of the stairs, after 5-6 hours we left it there overnight and went back the next morning to get them up the stairs. Now that was a long day.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 pm

My wife is actually bummed she can't make this one. She is getting more and more into the off-road scene. The earliest I can leave would be that Friday night after work. When is everyone else departing. Where do we think we are camping?

Trails. I popped my Moab cherry on Top of the World and then the next day on Hell's Revenge -both by myself in the FJ. It was not my smartest moment but there was plenty of traffic that weekend if we had gotten into trouble. Many of us hit Hell's last year and truly had a blast. I would be happy to run it again, but if I were some sort of dictator in my own little Moab country I'd explore some other trails before heading back.

Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:25 am

If you guys come through the swell I'll be out there with our ATVs. Going to be in the Swasey's Cabin area. Maybe I'll see a few of you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
FJ Jorgy

FJ Jorgy

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 10:04 pm

We can't leave til Friday after work either, and we are wussing out and getting a room in town. I know, I know, but after the ghost rail trail we are a little nervous about sleeping in a tent in October, even more so after seeing Moabrats pictures from last year. We are planning on hitting Moab Friday night, doing a trail or two Saturday, then we are going to head home sometime Sunday. Still open for any trail, we did Hells revenge last year and that was a blast but I am down for anything my FJ can take.
Back to top Go down
BigBadFJ

BigBadFJ

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Hey Guys, I just talked to Richie, and if you guys are cool with I'd Love to go with ya to Moab!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.   5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab. Empty

Back to top Go down

5th Annual Columbus Day weekend in Moab.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next