Utah Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's good to be home

Go down 
+6
Mr Tibbs
tain
cnckart
SKIBUMM
gericurl
GambleCamble
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GambleCamble

GambleCamble

It's good to be home Empty
PostSubject: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:16 pm

As of 03/08/2010 I became the proud father to a 4010ld Army green Fj Cruiser, I already have it in the shop for its fist 2.5" OME lift with new XD wheels and Interco 295's ss-m16 tires. I am so excited that this blog has been made. I cant wait to see everyone buildups and ideas.

Get out and enjoy the day
GambleCamble
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Good to see your login issues resolved themselves. Let me know if it does anything weird again.

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahcruisers.com
SKIBUMM
Admin
SKIBUMM

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Welcome Welcome
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
tain

tain

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Welcome, I hope that this group can have a get together some time.
Back to top Go down
Mr Tibbs

Mr Tibbs

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Welcome!!
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Welcome! Great rig!
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:03 am

Welcome! Is that the new army green color?
Back to top Go down
GambleCamble

GambleCamble

PostSubject: Ya   It's good to be home EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Ya its the new army green, I had a 1970's army green fj40 back in high school and I sold it in 1999 with only 40,000 miles for 3k. worst decision of my life! I will keep this cruiser till I die, when I saw the army green I knew that I had to own one. I have already ordered the OME lift, xd rims and new tires, I cant wait to get it all installed. I am looking into painting the roof black and all the silver trim.

I will also make a custom gun vault for the back of my FJ, good thing my father-in-law has my back with all the welders. I cant leave home with out my arsenal of weapons, I feel bad for any critters planing on playing in the fields of utah this year. I also found a sweet pro guard mount for the inside of my Fj that spans the roof from the driver door to the passenger door that will hold two AR-15 type weapons.

As I get everything done I will post pics. You cant have an army green Fj with out making it into my tactical tank.
Back to top Go down
SKIBUMM
Admin
SKIBUMM

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 7:59 pm

If you are going to arsenal up then you damn well better black out everything. Love the green though esspecially blacked out. Not to steal anytnign from Balck ice but I saw his rig the other day and he is in the process of gunmetaling his out and I will say that might be a great and unique choice for a green one as well.
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 10:24 pm

The green looks awesome blacked out. It's really easy to do. I did mine last weekend. On sat I tore it all down, prepped and painted. It wasa pretty full day. I didn't like the look of it, it was too glossy. So on sunday I did it again. It was about three times faster since I n ew exactly how everything came apart. I also didn't remove the wings the second time, I just masked them off. Pretty quick and easy. Bob's is going to look awesome with the gunmetal matching his wheels. Wink
Back to top Go down
GambleCamble

GambleCamble

PostSubject: Black out   It's good to be home EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:51 am

I agree I will black out all the silver on the FJ, I am going to strip it down in a couple weeks and paint it myself. I was also looking into painting the roof black. I have a couple quotes. Something else I was thinking of doing was to paint the toyota logo in the front grill army green to match. So the grill will be black but the logo will be green.

What do you guys think? should I paint the roof black or match the army green? or leave it white?
Back to top Go down
BlackIceBob
BlackIceBob

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 12:51 pm

GambleCamble wrote:
I agree I will black out all the silver on the FJ, I am going to strip it down in a couple weeks and paint it myself. I was also looking into painting the roof black. I have a couple quotes. Something else I was thinking of doing was to paint the toyota logo in the front grill army green to match. So the grill will be black but the logo will be green.

What do you guys think? should I paint the roof black or match the army green? or leave it white?

I have thought about painting my roof gunmetal gray to match the wheels/mirrors/etc on my FJ. But I LOVE the old school white roof.

Decisions, decisions, decisions................ Laughing
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 1:38 pm

I say black out the silver, but leave the roof white. I love the white roof. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tallywacker7

tallywacker7

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 5:28 pm

army green is sweet!!! keep the white roof and black out the silver parts. I don't think a black roof on army green would look that great. gun metal could be cool and unique, but its all about the white roof/ FJ old school heritage. My opinion is spend your money on other useful mods instead of a (just looks) paint job.
Back to top Go down
GambleCamble

GambleCamble

PostSubject: The white room stays   It's good to be home EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Ok its decided I will keep the white room and paint the silver flatblack.

I agree white is too classic to paint black or green.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 7:58 pm

I agree. I love the white roof retro. And I painted my bezel retro white to match (although it needs a rock-chip redo after 2 years)

I'm thinking my rims (maybe mirrors and rear wings) will be dark silver soon too. I already switched out my door handles for black ones a long time ago.

Send me a few pics of your truck and I can do some fast photochopping for you (black roof, green roof, blackout, gunmetal bits etc...)
Back to top Go down
GambleCamble

GambleCamble

PostSubject: Pics   It's good to be home EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Ok I will get some pics to you as soon as I can.

Also if anyone has painted the bumpers, mirrors and door handles black can you give me some good direction on the process you used and what paint you used. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 1:32 pm

When I did mine, I lightly sanded everything with 400 grit sand paper, and wiped evrything down real good with lacquer thinner. I originally used Krylon fusion. It turned out good, but it was a little too glossy for my taste. I ended up re painting it all with a Rustoleum semi flat, and I couldn't be happier. Smile
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 2:27 am

cnckart wrote:
When I did mine, I lightly sanded everything with 400 grit sand paper, and wiped evrything down real good with lacquer thinner. I originally used Krylon fusion. It turned out good, but it was a little too glossy for my taste. I ended up re painting it all with a Rustoleum semi flat, and I couldn't be happier. Smile

I saw this handy work in person today and it looked real nice... real nice.

I'm planning to rattle can my wheels, shovel, hi-lift, and bumper before the wrench-a-thon.
Back to top Go down
SKIBUMM
Admin
SKIBUMM

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 pm

I want to see that! I saw bobs and I really liked the color combo on his.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 pm

I made my stock rims graphite over the weekend. It took a lot longer than I expected it to.

Now I hate the remaining silver pieces so bad they are next. I know about the pictures.... I'll get to them.

I redid the bezel white (rock chips after 2 years).

The Hi-lift, shovel, and axe got a good sanding-anti rust treatment- and thick coat of rustoleum flat black.

The wheels easily took over an hour each, and I could have doubled my pleasure if I wanted. I figured they were already less than perfect from kissing rocks so I didn't sand out all the little nicks and scratches.
I did the hubs flat black and left the Toyota symbols and lugs silver (chromey).

I'll run out and get an iPhone shot.....

...Here are 2 pics:
It's good to be home Web

It's good to be home Web
Back to top Go down
GambleCamble

GambleCamble

PostSubject: Looks great!   It's good to be home EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 6:57 pm

Those look great!!!!

I finished my black out as well. it took me about 24 hours with drying time and I took off and painted the mirrors, grill, door handles, bumper wings and center pieces.

The door handles and mirrors I painted with OEM flat black paint from an auto body shop to match the black on the front of the stock mirror.

the rest I used flat black rustoleum universal and it matched perfect with the bumper. of course I use an OEM flat black primer and 400 grit sand paper on everything.

My next project is to take off the FJ cruiser logo and toyota emblem and sand them down and paint them flat black. I just purchased emblem adhesive so that I can put them back on the back of the car when I am done.

I tried to upload a photo but I cant figure it out. any help?
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 1:02 am

gericurl76 wrote:
I made my stock rims graphite over the weekend. It took a lot longer than I expected it to.

Now I hate the remaining silver pieces so bad they are next. I know about the pictures.... I'll get to them.

I redid the bezel white (rock chips after 2 years).

The Hi-lift, shovel, and axe got a good sanding-anti rust treatment- and thick coat of rustoleum flat black.

The wheels easily took over an hour each, and I could have doubled my pleasure if I wanted. I figured they were already less than perfect from kissing rocks so I didn't sand out all the little nicks and scratches.
I did the hubs flat black and left the Toyota symbols and lugs silver (chromey).

I'll run out and get an iPhone shot.....

...Here are 2 pics:
It's good to be home Web

It's good to be home Web

Those look sweet!
Back to top Go down
SKIBUMM
Admin
SKIBUMM

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 2:02 am

OK I see another project in my future. Nice looking Brett......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's good to be home   It's good to be home Empty

Back to top Go down

It's good to be home
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next