Utah Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill

Go down 
+4
FJ Jorgy
cnckart
Moose-mann
Big-Ern
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill Empty
PostSubject: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Ok, who's interested in an overnight camping trip to Canyonlands with trail runs over Elephant Hill, Bobby's Hole, and Beef Basin?

For those of you who have never been there, I've done Elephant Hill when my FJ was stock (except for aftermarket skids) and had no problems. Beef Basin is a long but easy trail over ordinary dirt roads where you will only need 4 wheel drive if it is muddy. Beef Basin has a lot of prehistoric ruins which are fun to explore. Seriously, you could spend an entire weekend in Beef Basin if you wanted... I've wanted to connect the two trails via Bobby's Hole for a couple of years now and simply never got around to it.

Brad mentioned in another thread that the Needles Campground has awesome group sites. The group sites require a reservation. Individual sites are first come first serve.

Dates are usually a sticking point for these things. Here are 4 possible weekends within the next two months: 27 - 29 April (the weekend prior to CM), 11 - 13 May, 25 - 28 May (Memorial Day weekend), and 8 - 10 June. These dates are not firm in any way, just ideas. If these days don't work and you want to join us, throw out some dates that work for you.

Who's in?
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi Big Ern,

I might be interested. Since I am going to CM, the later dates would work better for me. Possibly memorial day although it might be a bit crowded, and possibly the June dates (more likely). I am determined to get out this year as much as possible.

Hope to see you again soon.
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Well I'm down! The only dates that won't work for me are Memorial day. I HAVE to watch Indy. afro
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 1:23 pm

No problem Brad. I kind of figured many folks would have family plans for a long weekend like that. Maybe the first or second weekend in June would be best. Hopefully a few more will chime in.
Back to top Go down
FJ Jorgy

FJ Jorgy

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Sounds like fun. Right now June sounds like a good time for me too.
Back to top Go down
SnoMan

SnoMan

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Later in May or June for me. I'll keep watching for dates to firm up.

Are we doing the Ghost Rail run again???????
Back to top Go down
Fly Jester

Fly Jester

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 4:46 pm

If I go it would be in June.
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 5:34 pm

It looks like June is the best time. What do you all think of the weekend of 8 June?
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:55 am

We could do any weekend in June. Does anybody want to throw out a date?
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 11:58 am

I believe that I could do the weekend of June 8th or 15th at this point.
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks Moose! The weekend of the 8th would work best for me, but I could go any weekend in June.
Back to top Go down
LFNTMS

LFNTMS

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Sounds like a fun trek, how would a stock 100 with aggressive tires fare? I've already got that weekend off but have a feeling I'll have more passengers than the FJ can hold so the 100 is my next option.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LFNTMS
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 2:38 pm

My FJ was stock, except for skids, the last time I ran it. Careful tire placement and spotting and you should do fine.
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Just trying to make sure this thread isn't forgotten... Here are a few pics from the last time I've done Elephant Hill. This was during Cruise Moab 2010.

Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill Img_7210

Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill Img_7211

Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill Img_7212

Does anyone want to commit to the weekend of 8 June yet? It's gonna be a great time!
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Hey Big Ern,

I can give a tentative yes to the weekend of the 8/9/10 of June. Unless something unforeseen happens that should work for me and my boy who will bring his 80 series down. I hear rumors that Cruiser Fest this year is putting together multi-day run from Moab to Tooele heading up to CF. This will be the weekend of the 23rd. I hope to attend this but if the stars align I can do both.

Elephant Hill is one of my most favorite trails in Moab.
Back to top Go down
FJ Jorgy

FJ Jorgy

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 8:45 pm

As of right now the weekend of the 8th looks good for me!
Back to top Go down
BigBadFJ

BigBadFJ

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyMon May 07, 2012 8:38 pm

June!
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyTue May 08, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm heading down on Friday, June 8. I'll probably set up camp at the Needles camp ground. We could spend Saturday running Elephant Hill, Bobbies Hole, and Beef Basin, and then pack up and head back North on Sunday. I'd suggest extra fuel for anyone planning on attending.

Hope to see you all there!
Back to top Go down
FJ Jorgy

FJ Jorgy

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyTue May 08, 2012 7:00 pm

So needles it is. I'll look for ya Friday the 8th then.
Back to top Go down
FJ Jorgy

FJ Jorgy

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyTue May 22, 2012 11:01 pm

So is anyone else going to try to make this trip? I was hoping to do this and the Ghost rail trail if either of them pan out? I haven't been out since October and I am itchin' to get out!
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 11:41 am

I can't make this trip this weekend. Sad Some things have come up that I've gotta take care of. I hope that any who still plan on making this have a good run. I'll catch the next one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill   Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill Empty

Back to top Go down

Canyonlands Overnighter with Beef Basin/Elephant Hill
Page 1 of 1