Utah Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OME Suspension Install

Go down 
+2
BamBam
Big-Ern
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

OME Suspension Install Empty
PostSubject: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 3:00 am

Well after about 80 hours of overtime over the past three weeks, I finally received a big, fat paycheck. What did I do? I ran out and ordered an OME heavy suspension kit. It should be sitting on my front porch sometime Wednesday afternoon. I would like to do the install myself, but I'm a little short on confidence. Have any of you installed an OME kit before? If so, how difficult was the install? I have a tool set and a couple of jack stands, but no floor jack. I'm gonna take the front springs and struts to a local shop to have them assembled. Anything special I need to be aware of before I tear into this?

I plan to do the install this Saturday. I'll have pizza and beer (or other beverage of choice) on hand if anyone wants to stop by and help out.

Ernie
Back to top Go down
BamBam

BamBam

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 4:57 pm

I believe it's a pretty straightforward install Ernie. I have a floor jack, but I believe it needs a repair on a wheel. I'll check tonight for sure. My Dad bought it for me at Sam's Club fifteen years ago and it has served me well. If it's broken I think I'll buy another. It's surprising how much you can use one. They make things so much easier. You'll probably want a couple of set of jackstands as well.

I am not sure how much help I could be as I can't climb around or work a wrench. If you can't get the right tools let me know. I do have a compressor and such that can be helpful if needed. I did a similar setup on my Trooper a few years ago and it took me about 2 hours and was pretty easy, but those are really easy vehicles to work on. The only problem I ran into was when I put a compressed shock in the front and had my finger in the way of where the top end popped up. It came up and completely smashed my finger. YIKES. That was painful.

I had mine assembled and compressed and then wired down into position so that all I had to do was line it up and clip the wires with wire cutters and then they shot up into place for bolting straight in. The hardest part was getting old ones out. Just make sure the finger is out of the way! I busted the entire tip. I'm lucky I didn't lose it. I am not sure if compressing them in advance and wiring them up is a wise idea on this type of setup though as they generate a lot of power and could go off like a rifle.

So they are not coilovers correct? They are just bigger shocks with upgraded springs or do you use your original springs? Does it lift it? Is it adjustable? I'm interested to see what setup you're putting in. The only FJ lift setups I've seen up close and personal are another guy who lived down here in Utah County that took me out on a cruise and he had just s spacer lift. Then I checked out Moose's setup and he has the adjustable coilovers.
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 6:41 pm

I'd love to come down and help, but unfortunately I am already booked up the whole day. If you have them assemble the springs and struts it should be a pretty easy job. You will need a floor jack. Also air tools are awesome to have, not required, but it makes the job a lot easier and faster. I've done a few lifts on FJ's and they are pretty easy. If you have any questions hit me up. afro
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 2:52 am

All, I did a lot of research on the blue room and found a couple of good threads for the install. I think it will be pretty easy. I'll take the fronts down to Les Schwab, or someplace, to have the springs installed on the struts so I won't worry about that. I compared some pictures on the blue room with my truck and think I have a good plan of attack.

I'm gonna buy a floor jack. I had one many years ago, but it stopped working and I threw it out. I do a lot of routine maintenance on my other cars, so it will come in handy.

I have a compressor, but no air tools. I may make a run by Lowe's and check the prices. Never had a need for air tools before, so I never gave them much thought.

This job is the confidence booster I need. I work on airplanes for a living, but they seem so much simpler and easy to work on. I always get a little nervous when I start tinkering on my vehicles, for some reason.

Jon, I don't believe these are coil-overs. I think these are simply stiffer springs with better quality shocks. They are not adjustable and the lift is supposed to be 2.5 to 3 inches.

Thanks for your advice! I'll put it to use Saturday!
Back to top Go down
BamBam

BamBam

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 3:06 am

Hey Ernie, if you decide not to buy air tools, then you can usually rent an impact wrench for like $25 for a 4 hour block from most tool rental places. Harbor Freight has some decent prices, but their tools are usually crappy, but get the job done a time or two. Plus they will give you that cheap warranty that offers extended replacement so you can keep swapping them out for new ones!

Somebody in another thread (sorry I forgot who!) mentioned that he had gotten the Lowe's brand air tools when I asked about them and he said they were really good. So that's worth a look for sure. I have been saving to get some nice ones at Lowes that he recommended. I've just rented in the past and it adds up if you use them more than a little bit. But for big jobs then it is worth it to me to rent a super high powered impact wrench (I'm talking the type that would cost me $300 or so if I bought it).
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Lowes has a great air tool set for about $100. If you want to borrow mine to try before you buy you are more than welcome to. Kind of wish I was free saturday. Suspension installs are fun! Let me know if you want to borrow some air tools. afro
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm trying to arrange my schedule Saturday, but have resisted chiming in because I don't want to get your hopes up. I did my own OME lift (help from my bro-in-law). The most important things to know is how the cups go on (up or down) and how to clock the springs. The rest is cake.

Call around on the spring compression. Les Schwab was a rip. I used to be a fan right up until they charged me $100 for 15 min of work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahcruisers.com
BamBam

BamBam

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 am

I was going to keep my mouth shut about Schwab when it was mentioned earlier. Having grown up in Seattle... Schwab was THE place to get tires. They are a local company there and were always known for great customer service. Well... unfortunately when they expanded it didn't seem to follow them. After the guy tried to rip my elderly mother off on a set of tires then I've not been back and never will go back. I can't remember if I posted that story here. It was pretty bad and I have not been there since and will not ever go again and encourage others not to go there.

Try a small time operation and call first and get the name of the guy who says it's cool to do the work. There are probably 5 family owned tire shops right here on State Street near me in Orem that would be way cool about doing this type of thing and I'm sure it's the same up in Clinton where you are Ernie. I'd just make sure to call first and make sure that they know exactly what you're talking about over the phone. Chain stores love to do the whole hour of labor charging thing and it is BS.

Best of luck man. If you get in a jam and need help then send me a message and I'll do what I can. I just am really needing to get a ton done. I haven't set my classroom up and I'll be in big trouble if I'm not prepared to start the year!
Back to top Go down
SKIBUMM
Admin
SKIBUMM

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:52 am

I did my own and it was pretty easy. I too took mine to Schwab and they did the coils for me which I would highly suggest. I unfortunatly will be skiing on Saturday so I am no help but I do have air tools if you want to use them and a floor jack. I am in Denver until Friday night but if you wnat to borrow any of it let me know. One trick to remember is when you are installing the new front coilovers take and use your bottle jack to lower the control arm more and it is much easier to get them in. The rear could be done by a monkey they are so easy. Let me know and I can give you my cell or Brett has it and you can give me call if you need any tools. I have a couple of impacts and an air ratchet.
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 2:40 am

SKIBUMM wrote:
I did my own and it was pretty easy. I too took mine to Schwab and they did the coils for me which I would highly suggest. I unfortunatly will be skiing on Saturday so I am no help but I do have air tools if you want to use them and a floor jack. I am in Denver until Friday night but if you wnat to borrow any of it let me know. One trick to remember is when you are installing the new front coilovers take and use your bottle jack to lower the control arm more and it is much easier to get them in. The rear could be done by a monkey they are so easy. Let me know and I can give you my cell or Brett has it and you can give me call if you need any tools. I have a couple of impacts and an air ratchet.

How do you use your bottle jack to lower the control arm? But more importantly, how in the hell are you skiing in August? Shocked

I guess water skiing, but I was thinking snow skiing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 3:13 am

BamBam wrote:
I was going to keep my mouth shut about Schwab when it was mentioned earlier. Having grown up in Seattle... Schwab was THE place to get tires. They are a local company there and were always known for great customer service. Well... unfortunately when they expanded it didn't seem to follow them. After the guy tried to rip my elderly mother off on a set of tires then I've not been back and never will go back. I can't remember if I posted that story here. It was pretty bad and I have not been there since and will not ever go again and encourage others not to go there.

Try a small time operation and call first and get the name of the guy who says it's cool to do the work. There are probably 5 family owned tire shops right here on State Street near me in Orem that would be way cool about doing this type of thing and I'm sure it's the same up in Clinton where you are Ernie. I'd just make sure to call first and make sure that they know exactly what you're talking about over the phone. Chain stores love to do the whole hour of labor charging thing and it is BS.

Best of luck man. If you get in a jam and need help then send me a message and I'll do what I can. I just am really needing to get a ton done. I haven't set my classroom up and I'll be in big trouble if I'm not prepared to start the year!

I mentioned les schwab because there is a store less than a mile from my house. I shopped there for tires once, but they were to expensive. I try to shop at small, locally owned businesses as often as possible, but sometimes they just don't cut it. Some local businesses act like they would rather endure dental surgery than answer my questions. Others have limited inventory and act insulted if you ask for something they don't carry. For example, don't walk into the pro music shop in Clearfield and ask if they sell Gibson Guitars... affraid

I'm with you though. The big chains are forcing a lot of the local shops out of business and it is disheartening. I just wish the local guys would realize that I would probably pay a little more for good customer service.
Back to top Go down
cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 2:56 am

I know Sandy is a haul from Clinton but I have a press setup that makes strut/coil assemblies a cinch, its literally done hundreds of assemblies on Taco's, 4Runners, FJC's and Land Cruisers, 15-20 minutes is the standard. LMK

Back to top Go down
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 11:49 am

cruiseroutfit wrote:
I know Sandy is a haul from Clinton but I have a press setup that makes strut/coil assemblies a cinch, its literally done hundreds of assemblies on Taco's, 4Runners, FJC's and Land Cruisers, 15-20 minutes is the standard. LMK

Thanks Kurt. Originally, the kit was supposed to be here Wednesday. I was gonna take the front struts to a local place on Thursday before work so that everything would be ready for me to install on Saturday. However, the kit only showed up a few minutes ago. I won't have time to have the struts assymbled today, so I may run down there tomorrow and install the kit on Sunday or put it off until next weekend.
Back to top Go down
cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 am

Big-Ern wrote:
...Thanks Kurt. Originally, the kit was supposed to be here Wednesday. I was gonna take the front struts to a local place on Thursday before work so that everything would be ready for me to install on Saturday. However, the kit only showed up a few minutes ago. I won't have time to have the struts assymbled today, so I may run down there tomorrow and install the kit on Sunday or put it off until next weekend.

Shoulda come down and picked up a kit, I'd a sent you home with assembled strut/coils 30 minutes later tongue
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 12:27 pm

cruiseroutfit wrote:
Big-Ern wrote:
...Thanks Kurt. Originally, the kit was supposed to be here Wednesday. I was gonna take the front struts to a local place on Thursday before work so that everything would be ready for me to install on Saturday. However, the kit only showed up a few minutes ago. I won't have time to have the struts assymbled today, so I may run down there tomorrow and install the kit on Sunday or put it off until next weekend.

Shoulda come down and picked up a kit, I'd a sent you home with assembled strut/coils 30 minutes later tongue

Yea. Should have checked your website before I ordered. Let me guess, you even had the kit on hand...

Could you explain how the front coil mounts on the strut? I looked at the kit I bought and it includes the lower seat for the coil, but I'm not sure what holds it on from the top. Do I reuse something from the OEM strut?
Back to top Go down
cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Big-Ern wrote:
...Yea. Should have checked your website before I ordered. Let me guess, you even had the kit on hand...

But of course Cool

Big-Ern wrote:
...Could you explain how the front coil mounts on the strut? I looked at the kit I bought and it includes the lower seat for the coil, but I'm not sure what holds it on from the top. Do I reuse something from the OEM strut?

Correct, the upper strut mounts must be reused, thus they need to be removed from the old strut/coil assembly. With careful consideration you can remove the upper mount without a compressor but for obvious reasons I really don't recommend it. Alternatively if you don't want to separate your stock components, you can purchase the strut mounts from the dealer. You need to verify you clock the bottom mount and upper mount correctly, though it can be 'adjusted' once back in the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
BamBam

BamBam

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 6:42 pm

How did the install go? Is it up and running?
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 11:12 am

The install is complete. I finished it last (Sunday) night. I can't say it went as smooth as I would have liked, but it's done. I wanted to do the install on Saturday, but other things came up that I had to attend to. So, I got up feeling froggy on Sunday morning and decided to tear into it.

Getting the struts out was a piece of cake. I removed the two bolts that secure the lower control arm to the steering knuckle and my son lifted the steering knuckle away while I pushed down on the lower control arm and the struts came right out. The first problem I ran into was when I was disassembling the right front strut. The tab on top of the strut twisted off when I tried to loosen the nut securing the top spring mount to the strut. That left me with no way to loosen the nut. Dead in the water. I took my drill and chained drilled the nut on two opposing sides and then used a chisel to cut off the nut. Sounded simple, but it took well over two hours to disassemble the right front strut. The left side came apart easy.

The second problem is of my own making. For some reason, I got really confused when I clocked the springs on the struts. The lower coil termination is supposed to be at the rear and one of the three studs at the top has to point inboard. Three times I had to re-compress the springs using a POS spring compressor I got from Checker to re-clock the springs. Yea, I got it wrong twice before I finally got it figured out. Maybe someone could explain why its so important to have the springs clocked in such a fashion. The struts were as easy to install into the truck as they were coming out.

With the front done, I started on the rear. It wasn't long before I ran into my third show stopper. The bolts that secure the rear sway bar ends to a linkage coming off of the frame where really corroded. To make things worse, some brain-damaged engineer thought it would be a good idea to use an allen wrench in the end of the bolt to hold the bolt while either loosening or tightening the nut. After loosening the nut a few turns the allen wrench starts to strip out inside the bolt. It took me awhile, but I was able to re-tighten the nut and disassemble the linkage instead. I will needed to replace these links because as I was messing with the one on the right, grease started oozing from a boot on the linkage. I'm sure the boot is torn.

The nuts that secure the top of the rear shock to the frame were also heavily corroded and were a total PITA to get off, but once the shocks were off, the rest of the install was a walk in the park.

For anyone looking to do this install in the future, take the front struts to someplace to have them assembled. That was my original plan, but nothing was open on Sunday, so I tore into it myself. I won't do that again. The spring compressors you get from Checker, Autozone, etc. are a real PITA to use and my lack of power tools (hi-speed grinder and impact wrench) made the job that much more difficult.

I only had time to drive the truck around the block last night. The ride is a lot more stiff and the front end doesn't dive when I hit the brakes. One problem I see is that my steering wheel is not straight. It is turned slightly to the left when going straight. I occasionally thought my steering wheel was off a little to the left before and I had the front end aligned last May, but the shop said it was dead on and blamed it on road crown. Is there anything that I could have done in my install that would cause this? How long should I let the suspension settle before I align the front end? Does anybody know of any good alignment shops in the north end of the valley?
Back to top Go down
BamBam

BamBam

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 3:47 am

Thanks for the great write-up Ernie. I'm sorry you had such a hard time getting the install done. I bet next time you do this (meaning when you install mine) it will go really fast. Hahaha. Just kidding. Let us know what you think of the ride and such as time progresses. I was thinking in a year or so about going to coilovers, but I still can't figure out what makes the most sense for me or which is better for what. I do mostly road driving as I use it as my commuter too, but I enjoy going offroad. So I am going to have to speak with the experts (meaning you guys!).

I'm sure others will have a more accurate answer than me, but I've always driven around for 50 or so miles after doing suspension work before having an alignment done. That is assuming that I didn't feel something was seriously wrong and I'd be doing damage to the suspension or tires by driving on it before the alignment. I think the guys blaming it on road crown were full of hooey. If that were the case then it would have been different on different roads as they aren't all crowned at the same angle. I had a friend whose mom had that situation and it turns out that they had done something to her car and messed up the steering wheel! The guys had pulled it for some lame reason without telling her (attempting to align the vehicle by pulling the steering wheel and moving it over I believe), but they still put it back on wrong. As a matter of fact they put it back on upside down. That was a funny argument we all had with the Nissan dealership in Orem. I am not saying that is what happened to yours of course. Your misalignment just made me think of that story. I drive on crowned roads everyday in my FJ and the steering wheel doesn't go to one side at all. Maybe mine is aligned so wrong that it works out perfect. Wink

Good question on a shop in the north that will do it right. It makes me think that perhaps the boss should add a section here about Utah Cruisers approved shops, or shops where we've had good experiences and can actually find a specific mechanic that knows that he or she is talking about. Like we know our pal at Cruiseroutfitters does good work and such, but beyond him I don't really know anybody around here that specializes in this stuff. It seems like down here in Orem we're pretty much stuck with do it yourself or hope you can find a motorhead at a shop that knows what he's talking about and has dealt with Toyota trucks over the years. Moose knows a few good people I believe through Wasatch Cruisers. Maybe he'll chime in again.
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:45 am

I got the alignment done today. I probably put 50 miles on it since the lift was installed. The camber was visually out as the top of the front tires pointed out and the tires would occassionally squeal when I turned a corner. The shop was able to get all of the measurements into spec except caster and SAI. He said its impossible to get the caster into spec with the lift installed. There are many posts on the blue room that said the same thing. He said SAI was related to caster and since caster was out SAI would be also. He went on to say that caster and SAI would not cause tire wear but that high speed handling would be a bit on the twitchy side. I haven't had it above 50 MPH yet, so I couldn't say if it's noticable.

The truck drives fine. The ride is a little more harsh, as to be expected, but the front end doesn't dive when the brakes are applied hard. I haven't had it off road yet and I'm not sure what my weekend plans are just yet. I'm definately gonna re-check the torque on all of the important bolts and apply some torque stripe to make future inspection a snap before I do any off roading.

I'll try to snap a few pics and post a few before and after shots at some point this week.
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 4:10 pm

Here are a few before and after pics of the install.

OME Suspension Install Img_7311

OME Suspension Install Img_7510

OME Suspension Install Img_7312

OME Suspension Install Img_7511

I know the pics are not the greatest, but I think the results speak for themselves. I took it for some very mild off-roading yesterday. I'm not sure it matters, but I figure it's a good idea to let the suspension settle in before I do anything to serious. I rechecked the torque on the bolts today. The lower ball joint bolts were rock solid. The lower shock mounts on the front and back were no longer torqued to specs. The front was about 80 - 90 foot pounds and the rear was about 50. The front is supposed to be 118 and the rear 72. I re-torqued them, but no one carries torque seal. In fact, no body even heard of it before. I'll check the specialty hardware store in Roy that Bob mentioned to me on Monday.

Now that the suspension is all done, the only thing left is to install the front LCA skids I got from Brad a while back... I'm giving them a few coats of Rustoleum black and will probably throw them on this afternoon or tomorrow. I know they don't require paint since they are aluminum, but they will fit right in with the rest of the stuff under my truck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OME Suspension Install   OME Suspension Install Empty

Back to top Go down

OME Suspension Install
Page 1 of 1