Utah Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shovel/axe bracket

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:15 pm

I am looking for a high quality bracket to hold a shovel and axe that I can mount to my factory roof rack. Anyone have any advice? What have you used? Where to buy?

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
SKIBUMM
Admin
SKIBUMM

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 6:54 pm

I actually have my tools off the rack right now for spring maintenance (rustoleum).

I can probably snap some better pics in the next couple of days for you.

Here are some better pics I took a while back of the rack enhancer in action:
Shovel/axe bracket Web
Shovel/axe bracket Web
Shovel/axe bracket Web

~$25 at Smith & Edwards.

A lot of people buy the ballast clamps on ebay, but they only hold one tool per 2 (I think they are around $10 each)

I'm thinking about swapping out to wing nuts on the carriage bolts so I don't need tools to get them down, although it is more of a theft deterrent.... Question
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahcruisers.com
tain

tain

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 pm

I used some weight clamps i bought on Ebay that fit good on the rack and bolted a flat piece of metal strap with 4 geri straps from expedition store. good and tight and looks good too. If I knew how to post pics I would. I think I have some weight clams left over if it would help some one. My high lift is held on with 2 weight clamps on the other side of the rack look good and functional. Tain
Back to top Go down
tain

tain

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 7:43 pm

gericurl76, I can get some 1/2 " "D" bolts that are used around coal mines that are more heavy duty than wing nuts and if painted look good, also are good to put a cable through and lock your high lift on.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 8:46 pm

I must admit I have no clue what a D bolt is. I googled it, but got a bunch of different bolts.

I'm very interested however.
Back to top Go down
tain

tain

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Took pics but need daughter to put them on, they work good. on conveyor belt structure. Will get pics up.
Back to top Go down
BlackIceBob
BlackIceBob

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Kyle,
I designed a sweet axe/shovel bracket for my FJ's stock roof rack. I will get some pics and post them. I bought some aluminum clamps on ebay, then used two pairs of Quick Fist mounts from Cabela's. I drilled a hole in my axe handle and have a D-handle shovel from Sears. I bought a bicycle seat lock wire from REI to lock the whole thing to my roof rack!
Bob
Back to top Go down
tain

tain

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:43 am

Shovel/axe bracket 100_0389
Shovel/axe bracket 100_0391
Shovel/axe bracket 100_0393
Shovel/axe bracket 100_0390

Finally got to post. If any one wants "D" nuts will try to get more, the are for 1/2" bolt
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It looks like there is a build project in store for me in the near future........GOOD!
Back to top Go down
SKIBUMM
Admin
SKIBUMM

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Keep us updated on the construction.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 1:11 am

As promised here is a pic of my "rack enhancer" without the tools on it.

Nothing but carriage bolts/nuts/washers and chain-link fence parts.

Shovel/axe bracket Web

the inside bolts go through holes I drilled in the axe handle. The top clamps hold the shovel, and the rear bolts hold the Hi-lift.

It's all gonna get a nice coat of black while I'm rattle-canning the world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shovel/axe bracket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shovel/axe bracket   Shovel/axe bracket Empty

Back to top Go down

Shovel/axe bracket
Page 1 of 1