Utah Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Impromptu trip to Moab...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Impromptu trip to Moab... Empty
PostSubject: Impromptu trip to Moab...   Impromptu trip to Moab... EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 1:26 pm

I thought I'd share a few pics of an impromptu trip to Moab last weekend. We didn't run any epic trails or anything. We just wanted to get away for a few days and hear ourselves think. We left town at noon on Friday and arrived at Horse Thief Campground at about 4:30. I like Horse Thief only because it has 60 sites and is never full.

We set up camp and grilled steaks despite the wind and then tried to cozy up to the fire...

Impromptu trip to Moab... Img_0310

My wife woke before me the next morning and took this amazing photo of the sunrise...

Impromptu trip to Moab... Img_0311

I found an article on the Trail Damage website about the Jackson's Hole Trail a few months ago. It's a trail off of the Hurrah Pass trail. Supposedly there is a hiking trail at the end that will take you up to the top of Amasa Back and I thought it'd be fun to hike it.

What kind of forum post would this be without a pic of an FJ? Here is mine at the start of the Jackson's Hole trail.

Impromptu trip to Moab... Img_0312

We found the hiking trail at the end of the trail and hiked as far as we could go. I guess we could have gone farther, but we would have had to scramble over these huge boulders. Here's a view from the highest point we went. I think Jackson's hole is actually an old meander in the Colorado River that was cut off eons ago. Check it out on Google Earth and you'll see what I mean.

Impromptu trip to Moab... Img_0313

We were still up for some hiking and climbing fun so we headed over to the Gemini Bridges trail to play on the rocks before we headed into town for dinner. Here are a couple of artsy B&W shots of some cool trees we found there.

Impromptu trip to Moab... Img_0314

Impromptu trip to Moab... Img_0315

The storm blew in right as we left Moab on Sunday morning. It was a slow nasty drive back North, but it was a great weekend none the less.
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: Impromptu trip to Moab...   Impromptu trip to Moab... EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Great pics Ern! Looks like fun. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Impromptu trip to Moab...   Impromptu trip to Moab... EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks Brad! It was a fun mellow trip. I'm kind of feeling the urge for a little adventure now though. When's the next group run to Moab gonna be?
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: Impromptu trip to Moab...   Impromptu trip to Moab... EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 9:53 pm

That's a good question. I'm down almost anytime with a few weeks notice. We should camp at needles outpost in Canyonlands (they have two awesome group sites!) and run E-hill and beef basin. I haven't done that for probably more than 10 years. It's a fun (and long) trail! afro
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Impromptu trip to Moab...   Impromptu trip to Moab... EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Great Idea! I was planning to run elephant hill at some point this summer. Camping at Canyonlands is the only way to go. It's to long a drive back into town.

I'll start a run planning thread and we'll see what kind of interest we'll get.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Impromptu trip to Moab...   Impromptu trip to Moab... Empty

Back to top Go down

Impromptu trip to Moab...
Page 1 of 1