Utah Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Last week....Spiral Jetty

Go down 
+3
Big-Ern
gericurl
BlackIceBob
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackIceBob
BlackIceBob

Last week....Spiral Jetty Empty
PostSubject: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 6:19 pm

well, the whole job search thing has really got me down. I thought that a little excursion would help the whole attitude! I went out to Promontory to check out the start of that trail and the "auto tour" was closed due to wet ground. I did, however get to check out the locomotives and chat with the guys that work there (very fascinating!) and then headed out the 15 or so miles to the Spiral Jetty.

For those who haven't heard of the Spiral Jetty, it was a "piece of art" done by a famous sculptor back in 1970. As the lake rises and falls, the jetty gets submerged and reappears.

From first hand knowledge I can tell you the lake is just right to see it. It was darn cold that day (nasty cold wind!) so the pics were shot inside the FJ until I just had to pull up on a rock and shot a poser pic!

Here you go:

[img]Last week....Spiral Jetty Dsc01210[/img]
At the locomotive shop

[img]Last week....Spiral Jetty Dsc01211[/img]
The Spiral Jetty from the warmth and comfort of the driver's seat

[img]Last week....Spiral Jetty Dsc01212[/img]
Poser Pic! (Look real close and you'll see the finished "graphite out"!!!)
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm

The spiral jetty is a very important piece of environmental art made in 1970 by Robert Smithson:
Last week....Spiral Jetty Smithson01
not to be confused with Robert Smith (from the Cure)
Last week....Spiral Jetty Robert_smith

It is actually world famous in the art community. Now I'm embarrassed, I majored in art and I live less than an hour away from a huge piece of art history and I've never driven out to see it. (thanks for the invite bob Evil or Very Mad ) ... lol! I've even been to Promontory point and seen the golden spike stuff... arrgghh.

Next Saturday or Sunday I have free, I'm going.

p.s. we're gonna need some closer pictures of the graphite mirrors and handles (unless they're in another thread I haven't seen yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahcruisers.com
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 2:47 am

My boys and I got lost trying to find that thing a couple of summers ago. Maybe you could post up directions? The graphite looks nice and so does the MT bumper!
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 11:12 am

Is anybody interested in doing the annual run around the lake? They usually stop at the Jetty on that trip don't they?
I've missed it every year and was hoping we would go again this year.
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 12:07 pm

gericurl76 wrote:
Is anybody interested in doing the annual run around the lake? They usually stop at the Jetty on that trip don't they?

I'd be interested.
Back to top Go down
Mr Tibbs

Mr Tibbs

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 pm

gericurl76 wrote:
Actually we usually jet right past it. We do usually wave at it though!! lol!
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 pm

I'd be interested in that run. I also want to do a Pony Express run all the way to Nevada. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 12:16 am

I think the around the lake is a good one for an early run. Seems like it would be accessible (read: dryer) earlier in the spring than anything up in them hills.

"jet right past it" Laughing

I know there are like 3 different 1st run of the season, spring fling, 9 mile canyon threads going on. But the more we plan one is bound to work with everyone's schedule.

I think we should nail down the 9 mile and spring fling dates and the lake jaunt can be a Saturday pick up game (kind of) I would also be down for a Pony Express Run.

What do you all think?

Also at some point this summer if anyone wants to go out to the Miller Off-road park in Toeller' The guy who runs it used to own Mt. Logan Off road and with a few days notice he will set it up so we can get in for $35/truck. It's interesting to see just what your truck can do. We went for about 2 hours last year and it was very fun.

(There, now there are 4 suggestions about get togethers.)
Back to top Go down
tain

tain

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 7:26 pm

I would be interrested in any of the local runs you are talking about. Hope the invitation is open to the around the lake and west desert pony express both places I would like to go. Don't for get open invitation to any thing down here in carbon emery area. Tain
Back to top Go down
BlackIceBob
BlackIceBob

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 8:05 pm

There is also a great run around Price that have some awesome petroglyphs right next to the roadside.

I'm up for the West Desert/West side of lake trip. Let's plan a date and stick to it! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 2:33 am

BlackIceBob wrote:
There is also a great run around Price that have some awesome petroglyphs right next to the roadside.

I'm up for the West Desert/West side of lake trip. Let's plan a date and stick to it! What a Face

I'm up for anything. I just need a little notice to work my schedule around.
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 12:09 pm

I'm also up for any of these and will any and all that I can work into my schedule.

Moose
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last week....Spiral Jetty   Last week....Spiral Jetty Empty

Back to top Go down

Last week....Spiral Jetty
Page 1 of 1