Utah Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spring Fling 2010

Go down 
+4
Mr Tibbs
gericurl
cnckart
Delray
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Delray

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 10:23 am

Thinking of Spring in Moab April 24-25th or May 14th if anyone would like to meet up.

I usually like to do a hike also if anyone would like to join us. More info here: http://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/programs.htm
Also Corona arch is not so strenuous hike, outside the park (= free) and more stunning/interesting that the famous Arch in the park.

Hardcore types might like to show up Friday or earlier and get a few days of runs in.

I am hoping a few of our more experienced flingers will sign up/show up here and offer to lead some trails for this informal \"disorganized\" run. Our esteemed unofficial leaders, the MoabRats - Scott and Sara Peacock will be having a baby boy late April, but he said he might be able to at least meet for dinner with whoever meets up.

Disclaimer: This is NOT an organized event, just suggestions on a date for a small group (or break into smaller groups) who would like to run a few trails then get together to talk about the damage over dinner ;-)

Last edited by Delray on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 1:24 pm

I couldn't swing that weekend, a I'm going to be in Moab the next week for CM I could be up for a mid may trip though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Darren (aka Dlister, aka trdfjboys) was just asking me what I knew about a "spring fling" which is nothing at this point.

Thanks for stepping up to organize something. With a little notice, most weekends are are really good for me. I love to hike too.
How difficult/ dangerous are the hiking trails you are considering? I might have my 3 year old with me and although I can carry her quite a distance she will have to huff it a little too. I'm trying to expose her to the great outdoors, (she won't get much of that from her mom Smile

If I come up with any weekends I absolutely can't do I'll post up, and if the dates I can go jive with everyone else, then we'll see you down there. tongue

EDIT:

Ok got the PMs on the blue room lol! I always come here first now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahcruisers.com
Mr Tibbs

Mr Tibbs

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 11:51 pm

We would love to be there!! We will have to see what happens with the house buying process. It seems that we always miss this event so we would love to finally make it!
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 10:40 am

That weekend in April does not work for me but I would be in for a weekend in May!

It would be great to meet some of you.

Moose
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 11:13 am

I could also do a weekend in May. Weren't we all talking about 14 May at one point?
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 am

Yes - that date was thrown out on another thread I started. That would work for me but I am willing to try and make anything work. It is just that my April is shot so it would have to be in May for me.

Moose
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 3:04 am

I am definately in for a weekend Moab trip in May. The OP mentioned 14 May. I might go on the cheap and simply throw a tent up in the middle of no where for a couple of nights.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 11:14 am

Big-Ern wrote:
I am definately in for a weekend Moab trip in May. The OP mentioned 14 May. I might go on the cheap and simply throw a tent up in the middle of no where for a couple of nights.

That's my plan, maybe we can find enough space somewhere for a couple of us that don't want to/can't spend much $.
Back to top Go down
Delray

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 11:41 am

May 15th weekend is looking promising for a lot of FJers. We pulled off of 313 at what looked like a nice little hike and noticed it was camping along the river all the way into the canyon.

http://www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds_blm.htm

We will likely try to find a reasonably priced hotel in town.
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 pm

gericurl76 wrote:
Big-Ern wrote:

That's my plan, maybe we can find enough space somewhere for a couple of us that don't want to/can't spend much $.

There are lots of camping along Kane Creek Road and a few along Onion Creek. There is also a bunch along hwy 128. There are also alot of primitave camping (no toilets) in the area that is completely free to use, but a portable toilet is required to be set up and used and we gotta pack out our own poo.

The BLM sites range betweem $8 and $12 a night for camping. Check out the link: http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/campgrounds.html
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 12:16 pm

OK everyone, I have the schedule cleared for the weekend of May 15/16 and plan on going to Moab. I can either leave Thurs. the 13th and will come back on the 16th or leave the 14th and come back on the 17th. I can do either but just haven't decided what would be best.

I am trying to talk some of my other friends into coming but no commitment yet. I will be going one way or the other. It would be great if some of my friends I have not met yet (you) could come along as well. The more the merrier!

I do not know Moab at all, in fact, this will be my first time. So if someone out there wants to come along that knows the area that will be even better.

What do you say. Anyone ready to step up and commit to coming along?

Thanks everyone. I sincerely hope we can get a lot of us out for this. Perhaps we can even have an earlier, closer run before the Moab trip to meet everyone.

Let me know what you think.

Moose
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 2:08 pm

Moose-mann wrote:
OK everyone, I have the schedule cleared for the weekend of May 15/16 and plan on going to Moab. I can either leave Thurs. the 13th and will come back on the 16th or leave the 14th and come back on the 17th. I can do either but just haven't decided what would be best.

I am trying to talk some of my other friends into coming but no commitment yet. I will be going one way or the other. It would be great if some of my friends I have not met yet (you) could come along as well. The more the merrier!

I do not know Moab at all, in fact, this will be my first time. So if someone out there wants to come along that knows the area that will be even better.

What do you say. Anyone ready to step up and commit to coming along?

Thanks everyone. I sincerely hope we can get a lot of us out for this. Perhaps we can even have an earlier, closer run before the Moab trip to meet everyone.

Let me know what you think.

Moose

I could do a Friday through Sunday trip that weekend. I have been to Moab a few times but I am far from an expert on the area. What types of trails were you planning on running?
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Hey Big Ern,

I have been reading my "Trails of Moab" book and talking with a few people and have a few ideas of what I would like to do but I have not made any plans yet. I would love to do a few trails that are somewhat challenging, have some great scenery and perhaps last 5-7 hours or so. Perhaps some nice places to stop and have lunch??

I just want to get out and learn a few trails in Moab, forget life for awhile and have some fun.

I hope you can join us.

Moose
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 3:00 am

Moose-mann wrote:
Hey Big Ern,

I have been reading my "Trails of Moab" book and talking with a few people and have a few ideas of what I would like to do but I have not made any plans yet. I would love to do a few trails that are somewhat challenging, have some great scenery and perhaps last 5-7 hours or so. Perhaps some nice places to stop and have lunch??

I just want to get out and learn a few trails in Moab, forget life for awhile and have some fun.

I hope you can join us.

Moose

I should be able to make it. Another book to check out is by Charles A. Wells. It is called Guide to Moab, Ut. Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails. Also check out this link, if you haven't already: http://www.traildamage.com/index.php . There is a lot of good info there to help plan your trip.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Big-Ern wrote:

I should be able to make it. Another book to check out is by Charles A. Wells. It is called Guide to Moab, Ut. Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails. Also check out this link, if you haven't already: http://www.traildamage.com/index.php . There is a lot of good info there to help plan your trip.

We took that book our first time in Moab. It got us where we were going and back. Some of the mileage things seemed to be off, but it may have been my wife not resetting the odometer Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 1:15 am

gericurl76 wrote:
Big-Ern wrote:

We took that book our first time in Moab. It got us where we were going and back. Some of the mileage things seemed to be off, but it may have been my wife not resetting the odometer Embarassed

I never use the mileage. I plug the coordinates into my crappy Garmin GPS to get to the waypoints.
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 9:27 am

I actually have that book and was wondering how useful/accurate those directions were.

I have heard a few people say that the Fins and Things trail is a pretty good one to try. Anyone have any feedback on that one?
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 am

Moose-mann wrote:
I actually have that book and was wondering how useful/accurate those directions were.

I have heard a few people say that the Fins and Things trail is a pretty good one to try. Anyone have any feedback on that one?

Never done Fins n Things. Looks like a fun trail, but stock bumpers may drag from what I've heard.

The directions in the book (by themselves) may not be enough to get you where you wanna go, but it is the best book I've seen of the Moab area. The Utah Byways book Bob mentioned also covers the Moab area pretty well, but it got me pretty lost out in the desert west of Delta.
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 8:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I just got back in town early this morning from being out of town for 10 days. It looks like I missed quite a bit on the forum and I will need to get caught up.

But before I do anything else I wanted to revisit the idea of a Moab run on the weekend of May 15th. I am pretty much committed to go and I hope that I can get a few other swho want to join us.

Big Ern, I know that you were in at one time, is it still a go for you?

I know a few of you are headed out for Cruise Moab this week, I am not able to go because I have been out of town too long and need to get caught up at work so this is my May trip down to Moab.

Please let me know if you are interested and we can get a few things set up. I am very much a NEWB when it comes to Moab (determined to change that this year) and so it would be good if someone who knew Moab a bit could come along. I am up for camping on the trails, hotel or a combination of the both. I can leave on Thursday or Friday, I can come home Sunday or Monday. I am flexible on this.

See you in Moab!?

Last edited by Moose-mann on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 2:31 am

I'm still in, unless something drastic happens. I'll only be able to do a Friday through Sunday and was thinking about going cheap and trying out a BLM campground or something.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 4:37 pm

I thought I was in 100%, but my new job might complicate things. I might still get down Friday night, Sat & Sun. Cross your fingers.
Back to top Go down
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 4:40 pm

That would be great Brett. I hope we can get a few of us down there.

I hope you can make it.
Back to top Go down
gotyourgear

gotyourgear

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 pm

I'd like to go. I'm up for just camping on BLM land. I can go down on Thursday take some runs on Fri and Sat. Maybe a Thursday night run? I'd like to come home Sat night. I guess I better get my CB ordered tonight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gotyourgear.com
Moose-mann

Moose-mann

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 EmptyMon May 03, 2010 10:22 am

Hey Tyler,

That would be great if you can join us and I am still hoping a few more folks will join us yet.

I am still planning on going down. Not sure on the days yet but was thinking about going down Thursday for a Friday and Saturday run, coming home on Sunday. I will make final plans in a couple of days and post that up along with a few other things.

I guess we also need to choose some runs that have some camping on them. As I mentioned before, I am not familiar with Moab at all, and I am definitely not familiar with planning a run down there so please, if you have suggestions (anyone) on good runs to take and/or other suggestions please let me know.

Also, if anyone can make it, please let us know. We should get in touch with each other soon to make plans.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spring Fling 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spring Fling 2010   Spring Fling 2010 Empty

Back to top Go down

Spring Fling 2010
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next