Utah Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?

Go down 
+6
BlackIceBob
LFNTMS
08FJCRUZ
cruiseroutfit
gericurl
BamBam
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BamBam

BamBam

Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 8:31 pm

They look cool. They have the big blocks on the edges and I think they look like they might even be a bit superior to the BFG's I got stock on my Trail Teams, but maybe they are just better for mud and there would be a tradeoff in snow/rain. I'd love to hear reviews here because of the specific climate and road issues. That is something that gets missed on the bigger board. We hear all of these opinions, but sometimes folks fail to consider how different climate and such is. Even for things like seat covers (due to temps), window tints (legal laws), and so on and so forth.

The tires look like this.....

Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? Images.ashx?i=GEN%20Grabber%20DOT

It's not like I'm even close to being in a position to buying any. My hope is in a couple of years when I have a good job and need new tires that I'll already have some picked out. I figure if we talk about FJ products now then come buying time we'll have some good reviews and feedback on different items as the site builds.

Thanks for any info or opinions.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptyThu Mar 03, 2011 9:41 pm

These look awesome on Don's (wikid from the blue room) truck.
I was researching them last night they are like $200 ish each and I've heard they are back-ordered due to unexpected demand.

I think they look pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahcruisers.com
cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2011 2:09 pm

I spent a 3 days in the desert and on the pavement testing and demo'ing the new General Grabbers as part of their tire launch at the Miller Motorsports Park. We had ~100 tire shop owners/salesman and media from all over the US their to see the new product and get to play with it first hand on the rocks and road. I was superbly impressed with them, enough that I have considered putting a set on my Tacoma. In a sad twist I had a brand new set sitting in my shop that were damaged in a fire I had a few weeks back... but I like them enough to consider buying a new set Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com
08FJCRUZ

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 1:23 pm

I've been trying to get my hands on a set for a while now and General Tire is telling me that it will be around June before they are available again. I just hope my current tires last that long.
Back to top Go down
http://rpmmachine.com
LFNTMS

LFNTMS

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 11:42 pm

Hey Jon, I wasn't too impressed with the stock meats on my TRD either. BFG A/T is an extremely old and outdated piece of rubber and since they changed the manufacturing process they don't last as long as they previously once did. I know nothing about the Generals but in my search for a good highway, snow, ice and off road tire I found the Goodyear Duractracs. These tires ROCK!!! I've tested them on my girlfriends steep, switchback, north facing ice covered driveway. I've done multiple road trips North and South and there extreemely smooth and quiet. And best of all they pasted the Moab test. Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LFNTMS
BamBam

BamBam

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 10:19 pm

Very cool info. It looks like 4WheelParts can get them in. I'd rather not buy from them though. I think once they start making more the price will drop a little. Right now they go for $219 each, which seems like a pretty good price if it can handle all-terrains and wears evenly and efficiently compared to most other mud/desert style tires out there. I've seen some of those that go in 15,000 miles, which is such a waste. They look great but don't handle all terrains well and wear faster than sneakers.

Back to top Go down
08FJCRUZ

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 pm

BamBam wrote:
Very cool info. It looks like 4WheelParts can get them in. I'd rather not buy from them though. I think once they start making more the price will drop a little. Right now they go for $219 each, which seems like a pretty good price if it can handle all-terrains and wears evenly and efficiently compared to most other mud/desert style tires out there. I've seen some of those that go in 15,000 miles, which is such a waste. They look great but don't handle all terrains well and wear faster than sneakers.

I finally got my hands on 4 tires last week and just need to track down one more. I will keep you guys updated once I get them installed and some miles put on. I would check with discount tire direct on the pricing. They sell the 35x12.50x17 for $253 with free shipping and no sales tax. 4 wheel parts wants $310 a tire + sales tax.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:04 pm

08FJCRUZ wrote:
BamBam wrote:

I finally got my hands on 4 tires last week and just need to track down one more. I will keep you guys updated once I get them installed and some miles put on. I would check with discount tire direct on the pricing. They sell the 35x12.50x17 for $253 with free shipping and no sales tax. 4 wheel parts wants $310 a tire + sales tax.

Where did you get yours? Discount tire has been out with no ETA for at least a month. I called them again on Thursday.
Back to top Go down
08FJCRUZ

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Where did you get yours? Discount tire has been out with no ETA for at least a month. I called them again on Thursday.[/quote]

I actually got hooked up from a guy in the blue room. I shipped him some rear sway bar links and he saw my post looking for the tires. His best friend is a store manager at Discount Tire in Washington and he made that one extra phone call and found the last 4 tires in the country. Its awesome that he found the tires, but I don't understand why for the last 2 months when i've been calling the local Discount tire and Discount tire direct on a weekly basis, why they could never get them. What size are you looking for? I will have him check availibility if you would like.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Something in a 17" rim. 33's or 35's I think is all they make. I'd prefer the 33's right now (I still drive 100 miles/day until I can sell my house).
Thanks. I'll keep checking with them though. I've heard it will be June but that is what I heard from a guy on the internet who talked to a guy who knows..... blah blah...

Back to top Go down
08FJCRUZ

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 5:48 pm

gericurl wrote:
Something in a 17" rim. 33's or 35's I think is all they make. I'd prefer the 33's right now (I still drive 100 miles/day until I can sell my house).
Thanks. I'll keep checking with them though. I've heard it will be June but that is what I heard from a guy on the internet who talked to a guy who knows..... blah blah...

I just talked to my guy as Discount tire in Washington and he has 32 tires available in a 33x12.50x17 if your interested. He will match Discount tire direct which is $247.77 a tire and then you will have to pay $20 a tire for shipping since they will ship from his store. Let me know and I will PM you his info. Thanks
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 10:36 pm

Yeah, hook a brother up. The $20.00/tire sucks but that's $100 I guess.
Back to top Go down
08FJCRUZ

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 2:22 pm

gericurl wrote:
Yeah, hook a brother up. The $20.00/tire sucks but that's $100 I guess.

PM sent!
Back to top Go down
BlackIceBob
BlackIceBob

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 7:18 pm

Brett! Looks like the Geri Curl is going to be sporting some new treads!!! I gotta see them when you get them. -BB
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 2:00 am

Here they are side by side with the 265-70-17 BFG A/T KO's I took off.
Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? Web

These are officially 33x12.5x17. Some websites are listing them as 285's but according to Discount tire, General does not list them in metric sizes.
I chopped the body mount before I ordered them so I didn't even check how close they come. They did NOT fit with the stock UCA's. At full lock they rubbed on the front edge of the Arm.

Spacers? Discount mentioned that they are not supposed to work on vehicles with spacers installed but would be happy to sell me some wheels with the correct backspacing. That was VERY nice of them to offer to sell me wheels....

Instead I bought some Camburg Uniballs from FJNewb and installed them last night. (I waited like 2 weeks after the first test fitting to get the UCA's in and the missing hardware from Camburg so I stayed up late to do the swap last night).
Even with the new arms, the tires almost rub at full lock.
The rear tire mounted without incident and is noticeably heavier than the stock Dunlop I had on there.

The road noise is slightly more noticeable, but it's like a throaty growl (I find it makes me smile)
Back to top Go down
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 11:29 am

Looks sweet! I thought I read somewhere that a 33" tire would fit with a lift and without the body mount chop. They look huge compared to your worn out BFGs!

Edit: You mentioned spacers in your post. Do you have spacers installed?
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 12:05 pm

No spacers but it was the most inexpensive/fast way to get them to clear the UCA's I could think of. I ended up "doing it right" and replacing the UCA's
Back to top Go down
LFNTMS

LFNTMS

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 1:24 pm

What a difference a little rubber makes. Looking good cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LFNTMS
08FJCRUZ

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 5:15 pm

looks good! Got mine installed last weekend and am very pleased so far.

[img]Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? FJGRABBER003[/img]

[img]Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? FJGRABBER007-1[/img]
Back to top Go down
Mr Tibbs

Mr Tibbs

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun Apr 24, 2011 8:13 pm

I wanna know how many miles they last. Wink
Back to top Go down
BamBam

BamBam

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun May 15, 2011 4:17 am

I want to know where I can get a set and get good trade-in on my BFG A/T's that came with the FJ. They have 2,000 miles on them. They are essentially brand new. Or should I just sell them and then order the Grabbers? I can't decide what size to get.... but I know I want to stick with the factory wheels. Maybe lift it a small amount but try to maintain road manners. Any tips? Are the tires starting to filter back in to the dealers now as we approach June?
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:40 am

Mr Tibbs wrote:
I wanna know how many miles they last. Wink

me too.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:51 am

BamBam wrote:
I want to know where I can get a set and get good trade-in on my BFG A/T's that came with the FJ. They have 2,000 miles on them. They are essentially brand new. Or should I just sell them and then order the Grabbers? I can't decide what size to get.... but I know I want to stick with the factory wheels. Maybe lift it a small amount but try to maintain road manners. Any tips? Are the tires starting to filter back in to the dealers now as we approach June?

I dont know about availability, they were sure a pain to track down though. Size recommendations:
the 33's will fit with aftermarket UCA's (p.s. I might have some Camburgs for sale here in the next couple of weeks) and you might have to chop the body mount (I did mine just in case and still need to get it welded up)

the next size is a 35" and the next is a 37" if I still love the tires when they are spent, I might look into what I need to do to run 35"s the 33"s look dang good right now though and I still drive 100 miles a day on them until I can sell my house.

I have noticed a drop in MPG too.
Back to top Go down
gericurl
Admin
gericurl

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:55 am

08FJCRUZ wrote:
looks good! Got mine installed last weekend and am very pleased so far.

[img]Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? FJGRABBER003[/img]

Those look very nice. i still think those moto metals are awesome.
Back to top Go down
08FJCRUZ

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? EmptyMon May 16, 2011 1:51 pm

BamBam wrote:

Now the TRD wheels are 16" correct? If so the tire size options are 285/75/16 or 315/75/16. I show that Discount Tire Direct has both sizes in stock, so I would maybe try your local Discount Tire and see what they will do on the trade. If you have 17" wheels and want 33x12.50x17 I know a guy in Washington that has 10 tires in stock.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?   Anybody tried the new General Grabbers? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody tried the new General Grabbers?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Utah Cruisers :: The Lobby :: General Discussion-
Jump to: