Utah Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Transfer Case Switch Issues

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

Transfer Case Switch Issues Empty
PostSubject: Transfer Case Switch Issues   Transfer Case Switch Issues EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 2:57 am

Hi everyone. I've been having an intermittent problem with my 4-wheel drive system that I think is related to the two switches in the transfer case. Sometimes when I shift the transfer case lever to HL, the VSC and center diff locked indicator do not illuminate. Sometimes the lights do come on but will go off even though I haven't moved the transfer case lever back to H. It's the same scenario when I shift into LL. Sometimes I have no lights, sometimes I'll get the VSC and center diff locked light but no ATRAC, while other times everything works as advertised, until the lights go out with out me moving the lever.

Today, I took it to the dealer in Riverdale and of course they could not duplicate the problem. I spoke with the technician (not the service manager who knows very little, if anything, about the FJ) and he said he checked the wire harness and looked at the switches, but couldn't find anything obviously wrong. He also said he made sure all of the connectors were on tight. Everything works fine right now.

Have any of you encountered anything like this? If so, how was it resolved? To me, it sounds like a loose connection(s) in the wire harness that connects the switches in the transfer case to the ECU. The tech said they were tight, but he could have reseated the connectors as he made sure they were on tight. What are your thoughts? Anyone have any ideas how to nail this down?
Back to top Go down
cnckart

cnckart

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Case Switch Issues   Transfer Case Switch Issues EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 11:31 am

I have seen a fair amount of problems with the switches themselves on the transfer case in the blue room. They are a sealed switch so you can't get any visual clues as to the condition. I know a few guys have just by passed these and wired in a toggle switch on the dash.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utahsportcycle.com
Big-Ern

Big-Ern

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Case Switch Issues   Transfer Case Switch Issues EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 11:21 am

It seems like a common problem for folks who actually take their rigs off road. The toggle switch idea is interesting. Definately an option if I continue to have problems.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Case Switch Issues   Transfer Case Switch Issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Transfer Case Switch Issues
Page 1 of 1